One of the biggest home improvement categories in the last few years is outdoor living and due to the Covid pandemic, the importance has elevated even more. Leading renovation and real estate professionals have compiled a list of the top new trends for 2021.
- One of the biggest trends that keeps gaining interest is the outdoor kitchen. Not only is the functionality a must, it also creates a great aesthetic for your existing outdoor spaces by adding that wow factor. Some realtors also say that an outdoor kitchen can significantly raise the value of your home as well as help sell your home faster.
- Another popular trend is enhanced outdoor living spaces which include comfortable seating areas, fireplaces, and firepits. With the Covid pandemic, homeowners are finding ways to utilize their outdoor living for year-round use by making comfortable living areas for themselves and guests.
- Homeowners are finding ways to enjoy their privacy away from their neighbors as their outdoor living spaces are also used for lazy day lounging, exercise, meditation, rest and relaxation, and other activities. Larger, private backyard spaces are a must for many future homeowners as well. There is an array of ways to ensure your privacy, such as higher fences, covered patios, sheltered side yards or a more budget-friendly approach like oversized planters, planting trees along the property line, or purchasing a retractable screen.
- In some of the warmer U.S. states, outdoor showers have been on the rise. Not only does this feature give your home a beach-themed feel, it is a great place to clean-up kids, it is a refreshing place to cool off on a warm summer day while working in the garden, and it can be an ideal place for showering your outdoor pets.
- Another great addition to your outdoor space is setting up part of your home office outdoors. With Covid and the warmer season coming up, homeowners are looking at ways to expand their workspace while they work from home. Some great additions are setting up shady workspaces such as an overhang on your patio or an adjustable umbrella, and some outdoor patio furniture for your computer and phone.
- Pergolas are becoming a hot new trend for 2021 due to their versatility and affordability. Not only can a pergola be built and/or installed in one weekend, it can offer an adequate amount of shade for outdoor activities such as lounging or dining.
- Our last major trend to feature is backyard cottages or ADU (Accessory Dwelling Units. These detached units have been on the rise due to its versatility. Some people are using this to house older relatives, as a home office, gym, temporary residence to rent for extra income, the list goes on. Backyard cottages can either be built on site or trucked in.
While some of these trends can cost a lot of time and/or money, there are many affordable things to do to bring your outdoor space to the relaxing oasis that you will love.